Gummy Smile Treatment: Botox Technique and Facts
Smiling releases endorphins, which make you feel happy. However, when your smile makes you feel self-conscious (such as when you have a gummy smile) the opposite happens and you try to avoid smiling as much as possible. This can make you look overly serious, giving others the wrong impression about who you are. The good news is there is one gummy smile treatment that is effective, accessible, and non-invasive: Botox.
What Is Gummy Smile?
When a person smiles, it is normal for the teeth and just a small amount of gums to be visible. Those with a gummy smile, however, show an excessive amount of gums when they smile. A gummy smile is clinically diagnosed as showing more than 2 millimeters of upper gum when smiling. This tends to occur when the upper lip muscle pulls the lip up too high, when teeth are too short or gums too long, or when a person has a thin upper lip, which can create the impression of too much gum.
Gummy Smile Treatment with Botox
Traditional gummy smile treatment was surgery. It could involve cutting away some of the gums, repositioning the lip, or even lengthening the teeth. In all cases, it was necessary to receive a local anesthetic and spend several days recovering — managing pain and sticking to a diet of soft foods.
Gummy smile treatment with botox takes around 10 minutes. You receive a couple injections of Botox into the upper lip on either side of the mouth. This causes the muscles of the upper lip to relax, meaning your lip is able to cover more of your gums when you smile.
Only trained medical professionals can administer this gummy smile treatment, as there are many muscles and nerves around the lips and mouth. It is essential to inject botox into exactly the right place to solve the problem of a gummy smile. If you have any more questions about the process, check out this FAQ.
Is Gummy Smile Treatment with Botox Right for You?
You should consider Botox as a gummy smile treatment if you want the following:
- To avoid pain. Botox is a relatively painless option with no recovery period. You will be able to continue with your daily routine immediately after treatment.
- Fast results. The effects of gummy smile treatment fully apparent within 3-4 days of treatment.
- A natural appearance. Experienced professionals know just how much Botox to use for gummy smile treatment to bring the best results.
- A customized smile. Botox can last three months or more. If you are happy with the results, you can return two or three times a year to maintain your smile. Similarly, you have the option to adjust the number of injections you receive in each visit to better tailor your smile.
- To save money. A few units of Botox is more affordable than surgery.
The only way to be certain that botox is the right gummy smile treatment for you is to receive a consultation. Schedule your consultation today to sit down with a medical aesthetic provider to discuss your medical history and determine whether Botox will meet your goals.